With the official firmware support for the Samsung Galaxy S6 dropped, it gives an expiration date for the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge to follow. While TouchWiz has transitioned to be more lightweight, the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge will no doubt be feeling the effects of increased demand for resources on aging hardware. The support for custom ROMs changes all this and even enables the devices to get Android Oreo since there’s no guarantee if the devices will get it officially from Samsung. With LineageOS 15.1 on the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, you can get Android 8.1 and a near stock experience.
Install LineageOS 15.1
Before proceeding, the method of flashing a custom ROM involves flashing a custom recovery, which will trip Knox and invalidate any warranty that the device may be under.
- You must already have TWRP running on your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.
- Make sure you have at least 70% charge in the device before proceeding.
- Samsung Galaxy S7: lineage-15.1-20180328-UNOFFICIAL-herolte.zip
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: lineage-15.1-20180328-UNOFFICIAL-hero2lte.zip
- GApps: MindTheGApps
Instructions to flash LineageOS 15.1 on the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
- Download the ROM and GApps zip files from the links above.
- Next, connect your Galaxy S7 device to the PC.
- Swipe down the notification bar and tap on the USB notification. Then select ‘File Transfer’.
- Open file explorer on your PC and locate the downloaded files.
- Copy the downloaded files to the phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the phone and power it down completely.
- Boot into TWRP recovery – Press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power button altogether.
- In TWRP, go to the ‘Wipe’ menu and tap on ‘Advanced Wipe.’ Select the Dalvik/ART Cache, System, Data, and Cache.
- Then swipe the “Swipe to Wipe” button.
- Once your device has been wiped, go back to the TWRP main screen.
- Press the ‘Install’ button. Then navigate to the location where you had transferred the files.
- Select the ROM zip (e.g. lineage-15.1-20180222-UNOFFICIAL-hero2lte.zip).
- Tap on ‘Add more Zips’ button and select the GApps file this time.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install LineageOS 15.1.
- The flashing process may take some time to complete.
- Once it is complete, hit the ‘Reboot System’ button.
Your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge will now reboot and display the LineageOS boot animation. The first boot will be slightly slower than usual so be patient – subsequent reboots will be quicker.
You can now enjoy LineageOS 15.1 on the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge and a fresh new, faster, more secure, up-to-date device. If you have any issues, drop a comment below.